City of Anthony Kansas

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Do I need a permit?
  2. What is an ordinance?
  3. What is a resolution?
  4. What codes does the City Of Anthony follow?
  5. What is my zoning?
  6. Do I live in a subdivision?
  7. Can I work on my own House?
  8. Why do I need a permit on my own house?
  9. Why do I need to do a Kansas one-call to replace my fence?
  10. Can I change my zoning?


Do I need a permit?

You may wonder if you will need a permit for certain projects.  You can get answers to many of your building permit questions by calling or visiting the Development Services Office.  We are located at 124 S Bluff Avenue and are open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.  You may also reach us by phone at (620) 842-5960, fax at (620) 5753, or by email at   A few minutes of your time spent checking zoning, code and permit requirements can save you a lot of headaches and money to be sure your project meets all applicable regulations before you start.


You will need a Zoning Permit to:

You will need a Building Permit to:

You will need an Electrical Permit to:


You will need a Plumbing Permit to:

You will need a Gas Permit to:


You will need a Mechanical Permit to:

All new construction will require multiple permits and inspections.

You may also call the Development Services Office if you have questions.  If you are the owner and live at the property, you may do the work yourself.  You will still need a permit and will be required to call for inspections.  Permits that are taken out after a project has been started are charged a penalty fee that is double the permit fee, up to a maximum of $500.00 over the original permit fee cost.

Building Permits are based on the dollar value of your project using the Building Safety Journal table for construction costs.  The fee schedule will let you know what your permit will cost.  Specialty Trades (electrical, plumbing, heating and air conditioning, gas and sewer) are calculated for each trade as listed on the fee schedule (to exclude new construction or change in use).


General Information - Permit Approval Process

Upon receiving your completed application and all other required documentation, the applicant will be informed of a 5-7 business day processing time.  Incomplete applications will not be accepted.  Applications will not be considered complete until all required forms are received.


General Contractors, Sub-Contractors (roofing, framing, concrete, etc.) and Specialty Trades Contractors (Plumbing, Electrical, Mechanical, etc.) will be checked to verify they are licensed through the City of Anthony and meet current insurance and bonding requirements.  A homeowner may act as the General Contractor and perform any plumbing, mechanical and electrical work on the project only if you OWN and OCCUPY, as your primary residence, the property listed as the site address on the permit.  You will be required to meet the same permit and inspection requirements as a licensed contractor would be.


Your application will first be subject to a zoning inspection to determine if it complies with all zoning laws and ordinances.  In order to expedite the zoning inspection process, you are required to mark the property with the location of the project as well as the property lines prior to the zoning inspection.  This will ensure that there are no disputes about where you plan to locate any improvement and will enable the inspector to verify compliance with zoning regulations.  The property owner is responsible for accurately locating property lines and any project that is later determined to be located within any rights of way or on any neighboring property will be the property owner’s responsibility to remove or relocate.


Permits are subject to fees.  Fees will be determined at the time of application, based on the project.  Permits will not be approved for construction until all fees have been paid.  Approval of construction permits will not be delayed pending approval of any Specialty Trade Permit (Electrical, Mechanical or Plumbing) application.  Construction may commence upon approval of the Construction Permit.  Specialty Trades permits must be applied for and approved prior to commencement of any electrical, mechanical or plumbing work.  Fees will be due prior to Specialty Trade Permits being approved.  


Commercial Development requires plans to be designed and stamped by an architect or engineer.  A Plans Examination will be required prior to approval of a permit.  There is a minimum $50 fee for basic plans examination, which is due at the time of submission of plans and permit application.  Major development projects may require additional fees for plans examination. The remaining fee for the permit will be due at the time of permit approval.


All contractors are required to put up a project board, where any and all permits, construction drawings/designs, inspection tags, and any other project documents will be kept, readily available to inspectors, at all times during construction.  At the time of final inspection, the project file will be submitted with the application for an Occupancy Certificate, at which time, it will all be added to the permanent file in the Development Services office.


What is an Ordinance?

An ordinance, by definition, is a law passed by the governing body and enacted to protect safety, health, morals and general welfare of the citizens of the City of Anthony. The City has housing ordinances that set minimum standards of habitability and govern the conditions and maintenance of all property, buildings and structures as well as other ordinances that deal with fire, safety, animal control, noise, traffic, parking, littering, and zoning, to name a few. The city also has ordinances that provide standards for supplied utilities and facilities and other physical things and conditions essential to ensure that structures are safe, sanitary and fit for occupation and use; and for the condemnation of buildings and structures unfit for human occupancy and use and demolition of such structures in the City of Anthony; providing for issuance of permits and collection of fees.


Zoning ordinances constitute a master plan for land use within the jurisdiction. The city is divided into residential, commercial and industrial zoning districts in an attempt to conserve property values and encourage development of land in ways that are appropriate for and consistent with surrounding uses. The ordinance adopting zoning regulations (a/k/a the Unified Development Code) for the City of Anthony is G-2718. The ordinance adopting building codes is G-2782.


What is a resolution?

The practice of submitting and voting on resolutions is a typical part of business in Congress, state legislatures, and other public assemblies. These bodies use resolutions for two purposes. First, resolutions express their consensus on matters of public policy: lawmakers routinely deliver criticism or support on a broad range of social issues, legal rights, court opinions, and even decisions by the Executive Branch. Second, they pass resolutions for internal, administrative purposes. Resolutions are not laws; they differ fundamentally in their purpose. However, under certain circumstances resolutions can have the effect of law.


In all legislative bodies, the process leading to a resolution begins with a lawmaker making a formal proposal called a motion. The rules of the legislative body determine how much support must be given to the motion before it can be put to a general vote. The rules also specify what number of votes the resolution must attract to be passed. If successful it becomes the official position of the legislative body.


As a spontaneous expression of opinion, a resolution is intended to be timely and to have a temporary effect. Typically resolutions are used when passage of a law is unnecessary or unfeasible. In many cases relevant laws already exist. The resolution merely asserts an opinion that lawmakers want to emphasize. Thus, for example, state and federal laws already criminalize illicit drugs, but lawmakers have frequently passed resolutions decrying illegal drug use. Political frustration sometimes leads lawmakers to declare their opposition to laws that they cannot change. Additionally, resolutions are common in times of emergency. War commonly brings resolutions in support of the nation's armed forces and the president (who, at other times, can be the subject of critical resolutions).


When resolutions are mere expressions of opinion, they differ fundamentally from laws. In essence, laws are intended to permanently direct and control matters applying to persons or issues in general; moreover, they are enforceable. By contrast, resolutions expressing the views of lawmakers are limited to a specific issue or event. They are neither intended to be permanent nor to be enforceable. Nor do they carry the weight of court opinions. In a certain respect, they resemble the opinions expressed by a newspaper on its editorial page, but they are nonetheless indicative of the ideas and values of elected representatives and, as such, commonly mirror the outlook of voters.


In addition to delivering statements for public consumption, resolutions also play an important role in the administration of legislatures. Lawmakers pass resolutions to control internal rules on matters such as voting and conduct. Typically legislatures also use them to conduct housekeeping: resolutions can thank a member for service to the legislature or criticize him or her for disservice. The latter form of resolution is known as censure, a rarely used formal process by which the legislature as a whole votes on whether to denounce a member for misdeeds.


What codes does the City Of Anthony follow?

All construction must adhere to the following codes with local amendments (See Code of the City of Anthony, Kansas, Chapter 4)

  1. 2009 International Building Code, with local amendments
  2. 2009 International Residential Code, with local amendments
  3. 2009 International Existing Building Code, with local amendments
  4. 2009 International Plumbing Code, with local amendments
  5. 2009 International Mechanical Code, with local amendments
  6. 2009 International Fuel Gas Code, with local amendments
  7. 2009 International Energy Conservation Code, with local amendments
  8. 2009 International Fire Code, with local amendments
  9. 2009 International Property Maintenance Code, with local amendments
  10. 2009 Life Safety Code, with local amendments (reference)
  11. 2008 National Electrical Code, with local amendments
  12. 2004 City of Anthony Unified Development Code, with all amendments
  13. Nuisance/Property Maintenance Ordinance
  14. All applicable subsequent supplements to International Codes will apply
  15. ACI Manual of concrete practice ACI-318 (reference)
  16. Book of ASTM Standards, Volume 04.02, Concrete and Aggregates (reference)
  17. Post Tension Institute Construction & Maintenance Practices (reference)
  18. All applicable City of Anthony adopted ordinances, codes and regulations


What is my zoning?

Please refer to Zoning map, and look at where you live.  If you have any question you may call the Development Services Office. 620-842-5960 or email at


Do I live in a subdivision?

A subdivision is defined as the division of a lot, tract or parcel of land, into two or more parts for the purpose of sale or building development, whether immediate or future, including the resubdivision or replatting of land or lots.  The term “resubdivision” as used in the Unified Development Code shall include any further subdivision of a lot or parcel of land previously subdivided for sale, use or other purposes, which varies from the latest approved subdivision of the same. The Original Town of Anthony was platted and mapped, and those maps are on file in the City office.  Since then, the city has grown and developed over the years and each time a parcel of land is divided into lots and blocks, the parcel has been platted.  Each plat has a name, such as “Highland Addition”, and is thus a subdivision.  Some subdivisions may have restrictive covenants (rules used in a subdivision to maintain a certain standard of living or a certain style of home or landscaping) and these are regulated by a “Homeowner’s Association” (HOA). The City of Anthony does not enforce restrictive covenants. You should check with your realtor when you purchase your home or lot and see if there are restrictive covenants and whether there is an active HOA.


Can I work on my own House?

A homeowner may act as the General Contractor and perform any plumbing, mechanical and electrical work on the project only if you OWN and OCCUPY as your primary residence, the property listed as the site address on the permit.  You will be required to meet the same permit and inspection requirements as a licensed contractor would be.


Why do I need a permit on my own house?

Permits are required on all projects. Please see the section entitled “Do I need a permit?” for further information.  You may also contact the Development Services Office at the number or email address listed above.


Why do I need to do a Kansas One-Call to replace my fence?

By law, all projects that require a permit issued from a city, county, state or federal agency and, as a pre-requisite to receiving such permit, are required to locate all underground facilities, must provide notice of the project to each owner of such facilities.  Kansas One-Call is a way to meet those requirements with one phone call and the Kansas One-Call center will then notify all owners of such facilities for you.  For further information, please refer to K.S.A. 66-1801 et seq.


Can I change my zoning?

An application for a zoning district change can be made.  An application can be found on the city website or you can get one from the Development Services office during normal business hours.  The fee for a zoning district change is $100 plus the cost of publication and notification.  It requires a public hearing before the Planning Commission for a recommendation to the Governing Body.  There is a 14 day appeals period after the public hearing that is required by statute.  During this appeals period, any person who feels aggrieved by the Planning Commission’s decision can submit a written appeal to the City Clerk within the 14 day period.  After the appeals period concludes, the case is presented to the Governing Body along with the recommendation of the Planning Commission and any appeals that have been submitted.  The Governing body may or may not, at their discretion, choose to hear public comment when the case comes before them. After consideration of the information provided on the case, the governing body will make a decision to approve or deny the application and will sign a resolution regarding their decision.  It is at this point that zoning district maps will be amended to reflect the change and an applicant’s zoning district has changed.